A person was struck by a train on Tuesday morning, causing service interruptions on the B and Q subway lines. The incident occurred around 9:00 a.m. in Prospect Park, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). Service on the B train was disrupted in both directions, and there were no southbound Q trains from 7th Avenue to W 8th Street. The interruption was expected to last until at least 10:15 a.m.
As of now, it has not been confirmed whether the victim survived. The situation is still developing.
On Wednesday around 12:30 p.m., a subway train on the F line derailed after leaving the Neptune Avenue station in Coney Island, Brooklyn. This was the second derailment to occur in the New York subway in 2024.
The day after the derailment, train service resumed but was operating at a slower pace due to track repair work. It is believed that the damage to the tracks may have caused the derailment.
A total of 34 people had to be rescued from the trains, but fortunately, no passengers were injured.
“We were having lunch and we heard the noise: one of the cars derailed. It smoked and threw a piece of wood,” said Norman García, a witness to the derailment.
Although it is believed that the derailment was caused by a problem or damage to the rails, the MTA doubts that it was due to lack of maintenance. “We did an inspection in November,” said Richard Davey, president of NYC Transit.
On January 4, two trains collided in Manhattan in the afternoon. The collision involved a New York subway line 1 train and another workers’ train. At least 24 people were injured in the incident, but none were seriously injured. Lines 1, 2, and 3 were affected by the crash, but three days later, the MTA confirmed that service had been restored.
Users of the New York subway service expressed their dissatisfaction with the recent derailment and blamed the MTA, claiming that better maintenance is needed. “You can see that the system is not working,” they said.
Image Source: www.univision.com
News, Travel, Local